Viengphouka Landscape Transformation Project
Vieng Phouka District, Luang Namtha Providence
It is our aim to futher create decrease pressure on (water) ecosystems and improve livelihood resilience in Namvang village.
- Introduce sustainable agroforestry systems in Ban Namvang
- Decrease dependency on single, unsustainable crops and diversify economic activities in Namvang village
- Improve agricultural techniques with focus on sustainable and organic farming practices and climate smart innovative agro-ecology
- Increase chemical and environmental awareness in Namvang village and make a contribution to wetland biodiversity conservation of the Mekong river basin
- Create a model for upland rural development and ensure further project dissemination
This project promotes Climate Smart Innovative Agro-Ecology: Changes in the climate can have a significant impact on agricultural production and threaten livelihood systems. The project strives to improve livelihood resilience of both men and women farmers while making a positive contribution to biodiversity conservation. In relation to climate change, this project promotes resilience in farming systems and improves the capacity of small scale farmers to respond drought and soil degradation. Not only does this project focus on helping the farmers adapt to climate change-triggered disasters, but it also to improves their socio-economic situation, mainly through diversification of the rural economy.
The project will be implemented in Namvang, Viengphouka district in Luang Namtha province, northern Laos. Namvang is a primarily Hmong community bordering the Nam Ha National Protected Area. With increase in plantation agriculture and human activity surrounding the NPA, but also increasingly within the NPAs boundaries, there is a clear need for sustainable land management in this area. In Namvang we will create a model that can serve other upland communities in this district. As such the project directly contributes to the community management of protected areas and improves the land biodiversity. Besides, the project area is part of the Mekong river basin and through the promotion of organic agriculture as well as chemical awareness training the project will make a contribution to wetland biodiversity conservation of the Mekong river basin.
The Farmers of Namvang Village | UpLao | Association of Sustainable Livellihood Development (ASLD) | Department of Agriculture and Forestry Office of Vieng Phoukha District (DAFO)
November 2017 - November 2019